This is a Reference Planar-Magnetic Headphone assembled with original Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC (Total Consciousness) headphone components by Earphone DIY Labs. We build this headphone to save DIYers 60% budget on an original price $4,999 product.
The Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC headphones are known worldwide as one of the highest performance headphones in existence for good reason, their bass dynamics are among the very best, and they present a wide open sound-field that feels more like listening to speakers than headphones. Newly designed 66 mm planar magnetic speaker drivers deliver the highest resolution of any headphone ever made. Combined with the venerable AB-1266 headphone design, newly minted all aluminum frame and posh ear pads means you’ll never have to buy another concert ticket.
- We build this headphone per order. It takes 4~7 days for our professionals to assemble and test the headphone.
- Although the impedance is 47 ohms and very normal, AB-1266 is with 88 dB/mW low sensitivity and has to be used with an AMP. Ordinary portable devices like cell phones can not drive it well!
- It is quite heavy (640 grams) and the earpad is every hard. You will take 10min to get use to it. And it is by design absolutely not for portable use scenarios!
- If you ask us how this headphone sounds like, does it really deserves? We’d say it sounds like a giant multi-way speaker instead of a headphone, very unique to any headphone we’ve ever built.
Know about Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC
The AB-1266 is designed, machined, finished, and carefully hand assembled in New York, USA, and prefers a high quality headphone amplifier for best performance.
- Made in the USA. We machine and finish all aluminum frame components and produce our planer speaker drivers in-house in Buffalo, New York.
- No plastic parts to break, all components machined from solid aluminum for exceptional strength. Integrated resonance control for minimal added coloration. Proprietary planar magnetic transducer design (Patent Pending) utilizing our very thin, very low mass diaphragm. Effortless dynamics and low level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs with spacious sound outside of your head. A front row listening experience with stunning bass impact no other headphone can provide.
- High quality polymer ceramic finish with polished metal accents. Unique breathable aluminum sides acoustically tuned to our planar diaphragm for completely open sound. Dual balanced 8 FT (2.5 meter) XLR cable set, and both 1/4″ (6.3 mm) and 4 pin XLR cable Y-adaptors, all custom made high performance cables by JPS Labs for Abyss. Internal wiring also by JPS Labs.
- High quality soft lambskin ear pads provide comfort and finely tuned acoustics. Magnetically adjustable positioning lets you fine tune acoustics and fit for your music, and you. Padded leather headband with head movement isolation properly distributes weight for hours of comfortable wear. Looks are deceiving, these headphones are designed not to clamp your head, but rather float atop and loosely touch your ears (no problem with eye glasses). ‘Abyss’ embroidered logo.
- Heavy leather man bag style carry case (made in California, USA) with extra room and pockets for an iPad and portable music player, for a completely portable high resolution audio system. Heavy aluminum headphone stand laser engraved with the Abyss logo for easy storage and always ready to play.
About how to adjust AB-1266 headband and earpads
3rd party reviews
In the package
To save buyers’ budget on any unnecessary function, the package simply include:
- The EDL 1266 Phi TC Reference Audiophile Planar-Magnetic Headphone with 2 3pin sockets
- A 8 FT (2.5 meter) cable with 6.5mm jacket. Note this is an Earphone DIY Labs product, and as good as the original one.
Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC Measurements
You can safely refer to the measurement of original AB-1266 headphones on Audio Science Review, as the ELD 1266 fully reproduce the sound character:
More details about the headphones
The earpad is detachable with magnet. You can turn it into the best position easily.
The headband is bendable in the middle to fit your head and face shapes.
The 66mm planar driver and front cover.
The band cover is open.
The cable with 6.5mm jack.
The carrying case
Much better quality than original AB-1266 case.