This is a premium tone-wood clad with metal alloy over-ear open back DIY kit built by Earphone DIY Labs inspired by Grado PS1000e, a $1,700 premium price product, and the finest wooden + aluminum alloy cups we have ever made. The PS1000e is an open-backed design to give audio professionals the security of consistent response throughout the frequency range. Also the cups look shinning and awesome!
Choose the Assembling option and our professionals will make it for you in 2~3 days. See the assembly service for more details.
Are you an experienced headphone maker? Great! Choose the All Separated Components Option and enjoy making it with your own hands. With basic soldering and gluing skills, you can easily get audiophile sound quality.
- Luxurious aerospace aluminum cups cut by high-precision CNC lathe, coated with 3M anti-scratch layer with baby-skin feel
- Elegant, Grado PS1000e tone-wood clad
- Hand-made, genuine Hermes Zermatt Leather made in France headband in black or brown
- Cup holders (brackets) are made of high quality stainless steel, with 2 color options: black printed or not
- High quality Grado G/S cushions
- 3D printed front cover compatible with all 40/50mm headphone drivers
- 6N OFC, manually braided 8 core cable, with carbon fiber enhance 3.5mm jack
Know about Grado Labs PS1000e
Grado Labs PS1000e got 5/5 all star rating on What’s Hi-Fi (Review):
The PS1000es are an open-backed design of course, because that’s what Grado has always favored. Even the company’s brand new wireless offerings, the GW100s, follow the same principle. That’s a surprising engineering choice for such a product when you consider the amount of environmental sound that gets in, let alone the almost unhindered way the music being played leaks out.
There’s an upside though, and it’s a big one. An open-backed design does away with the enclosure behind the drive unit and, with it, all the resonances and reflections that are part and parcel of such a configuration. The result, all things considered, should be a better, more articulate sound – on paper at least.
The earpieces on the PS1000es use an inner core made of handcrafted, specially cured mahogany, while the outer housing is made of chrome-plated aluminium. The combination of the two materials results in a well-damped, low resonance platform for the new 50mm drive unit to work from.
Grado’s engineers have worked hard on this driver, refining the voice coil and diaphragm to improve responsiveness and accuracy…
The DIY kit is pre-assembled as displayed in the product pics, including:
- 2 X PS1000e premium tone-wood clad with metal alloy cups, with or without logo texts
- 2 X cup holders (brackets) made from stainless steel, black colored or not, with installation accessories
- 2 X front covers (driver housing), 3D printed with highly durable engineering plastic
- 2 X G-Cushions and 2 X S-Cushions
- Genuine leather headband in black or brown
- (Optional) 2 X headphone drivers
- (optional) 1 X Genuine leather headband, 3 options in black/brown handmade Italian leather, or black genuine leather
- (Optional) 6N OFC, silver plated, 8 cores hi-end cable with carbon fiber enhanced 3.5mm jack and Y splitter
Headphone drivers and how to choose
You can choose original Grado PS1000e drivers for identical sound character…but, why not try something different and also very good?
EDL PS3000e kit is compatible with all headphone drivers offered in our store (click here) , you can refer to the impressions of original headphones and pick one based on your personal use scenarios and flavors.
Here are 6 most recommended drivers based on our measurements:
- Original Grado PS1000e for original Grado PS1000e sound character
- B&W P7/P9 drivers, our flagship product with the best sound quality
- Master & Dynamics MW60 drivers, sounds very close to Grado PS1000e, our 2nd best 40mm driver with the most charming mids!
- Turtle beach Elite drivers for premium, 7.1 sound channel gaming experience!
- Grado compatible driver, with the best bass-mid separation and excellent highs
- Meze 99 classic drivers, sounds even better than the original, closed back shells
Headphone cups and cup holders
The cups, pre-installed with the ring bracket and front cover (driver housing).
The ring cup holders made of stainless steel, painted in black or not printed.
The front cover also serves as the driver housing, so please do specify the size of the front cover per your driver’s outer diameter.
Hi-end 6N OFC, 8core cable in 2m (1.6m from 3.5mm jack to Y spliter) with carbon-fiber enhanced jacks and spliters
The EDL PS1000e kit is heavy (~500g) and we highly recommend the 2 types of genuine leather headbands.
These are the best one we can offer – hand made with 3 layers of Hermes Zermatt Leather made in France, in black and brown (see more details and link to order separately) .
Here is the standard model which is more close to Grado PS1000e original headband, and also made from high quality genuine leather (link to order separately). It is also with more foams padding and softer.
Grado G Cushion and S Cushions