This is a custom product built by Earphone DIY Labs with original IE900 shell with X3R Technology and True-Response Transducers (Drivers). We proudly provide the upgrade option to our Micro-Tesla Drivers which got 100% positive feedback from thousands of users, and work seamlessly with X3R. Scroll down for a step by step DIY tutorial to build this IEM from scratch.
Key values for you:
- Innovative X3R technology unique to IE 900. As displayed above, the X3R is a unique triple-chamber absorber system and acoustic vortex removes masking resonances for a refined and extended treble.
- Larger-than-life sound from 7mm TrueResponse Transducer, crafted specifically for in-ear listening using the entire frequency spectrum for critical hearing of all elements of the source
- The upgrade option with 8mm Mirco-Tesla drivers, choose of thousands EDL IE800 users!
- Equipped with para-aramid reinforced cables with gold plated MMCX connectors which possesses a special recessed and robust design to ensure reliability even after over 500 attachment cycles
- Selection of silicone and memory foam ear adaptors in 3 sizes (S/M/L) and adjustable ear hooks to ensure an optimal fit and high noise isolation
- Upgrade cable with Teflon coat, Silver and 6N OFC hybrid 128 cores, 100% Left/Right channel separation at the 3.5mm jack
Also note IE900 follows Sennheiser proprietary MMCX specification, which is not compatible with most MMCX cables (Shure/SONY spec).
Know more about IE900
We recommend this video for a very objective review of IE900.
And in case you need a subjective review, here is a good one at IE 900 Review – Flagship Dynamic Driver IEM (headphones.com)
About X3R technology
Developed with an audience of high-fidelity sound enthusiasts in mind, the IE 900 makes even the subtlest nuances of sound audible. The X3R technology is the three Helmholtz resonator chambers which are precision-drilled into the elegant aluminum chassis of the IE 900 and placed between the diaphragm and the nozzle. To further smoothen the treble, we integrated an acoustic vortex. This is a complex shape that maximizes acoustic friction so that excessive energy is scattered. The effect is measurable and audible and serves to make the treble as smooth and pleasing as possible.
What options can I choose from?
You can choose from 2 driver options.
- Original True Response drivers with 7mm diaphragm, or
- Upgrade to Micro-Tesla Drivers with 8mm diaphragm
True Response drivers and sound characters
The True-Response transducer is one of the world’s smallest within its category. It consists of a single high-performance dynamic driver, with a diaphragm of only 7 mm in diameter to cover the entire frequency spectrum. A custom-made magnet system with triple-channel ventilation significantly reduces the distortion factor. Even at high sound pressure levels, the sound remains clean and free of distortion.
- Sound pressure level (SPL)
123 dB (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
- THD, total harmonic distortion
<0.05% (94 dB, 1 kHz)
FR measurement for reference only, to be updated
Why shall I upgrade to Micro-Tesla Drivers
This is a 8mm driver powered by Micro-Tesla drive technology with ultra-wide-band(5~46Khz) performance. It’s our flagship product, which outperform all the high-end micros drivers we have ever tested(including the original IE800). If you are looking for the extreme experience, we are proud highly recommend it.
- The Micro-Tesla drive technology is characterized by maximum magnetic field strength greater than 1Telsa, focusing on the air gap inside the dynamic driver unit in a micro drive unit, which is 2 or 3 times the conventional IEM drivers.
- Ultra Wide Band means the driver performs excellently from 5Hz to 45KHz, which greatly exceeds the ordinary IEM 20~20Khz range.
- The main benefits to users are
- Ultra-high density of the bass. With precise volume, the bass is well controlled and deeply extend to subwoofer area. It’s the most powerful and balanced bass we’ve ever tested among dozens of high-end drivers!
- Ultra-low distortion in the middle. The human voice is precisely pinpointed and sounds like it should.
- Unmatchable treble. If you haven’t tried a top level IEMs like IE800, T8iE, you may feel it is too bright in 1 second but then you will know it’s only because the high resolution can make details crystal clear – your ears are a little bit overloaded.
For the measurements using IEC711 coupler, ARTA and customized sound card, see below.
The Upgrade MMCX cable
We provide 1 pcs of unbalanced Para-aramid Reinforced cable with 3.5mm connector. It’s a major upgrade to original one from any perspective:
- Silver and 6N OFC hybrid with 128 cores, providing 50% less impedance than original cable
- 100% Left/Right channel separation at the 3.5mm jack
- Teflon coat and stainless steel jack and spliter, super durable
With basic soldering and gluing skills, anyone can make the audiophile class IEM in just a few hours following the 3 step instructions. Before we start. let’s take a look at the kit:
The 2 shells are manufactured by high precision CNC, and are preinstalled with the MMCX connectors.
The driver is also preinstalled and fine-tuned in the front cover. Note the polarity marked in the pic.
Step 1: solder the cable to the driver
Make sure the polarity is correctly matched. The red wire is positive and the green is ground.
Step 2: Glue the front cover to the shell
Note the notch on the shell which is designed to hold the pins on the driver. Make sure when you press the cover into the shell, the pin is correctly positioned.
You may use any instant dry glue compatible with aluminum.
Step 3: Put on cables and earpads
Note again IE900 cannot work with most MMCX cables on the market, the cable has to be compatible with Sennheiser spec on IE300/500/900. The good news is the nozzle being compatible with most 3.5~4mm earpads, so you can choose freely from the market.
The pic shows the IE900 kit works with the upgrade cable and SONY Columbia earpads.
How if I have special requirements?
Please leave your requirements in the ordering note and we’ll handle them accordingly, or contact our service account for any issue.